Willem-Alexander sworn as king of the Netherlands

King Willem-Alexander is sworn as king 

BBC reports that Willem-Alexander has been sworn in as the new king of the Netherlands. The festivities heightened with the water pageant. The people rejoiced as they watched the new king sail down the River IJ in Amsterdam.

More than 200 boats joined the orange-decorated flotilla.

Following the abdication of the king's mother, Queen Beatrix, the new king swore to uphold the Dutch constitution. The colorful enthronement ceremony was celebrated at the Nieuwe Kerk before the joint session of the Dutch Parliament.




"I swear that I shall defend and preserve the independence and territory of the state with all my powers," he said.

"That I shall protect the general and individual freedom and rights of all my subjects and shall use all available means granted to me by law for preserving and promoting general and individual prosperity as I befitting of a good king.... So help me God almighty."

More than 25,000 people were present at the square outside the church to witness the event and cheer as the new king was officially inaugurated "amid a trumpet fanfare," reports BBC.

To add glitter to the event, dozens of royals from all over the world flocked to the decommissioned church to witness the event, all in their best finery.



Comments

Popular Posts