Skip to main content

Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother and the Castle of Mey

The Castle of Mey. Image: Wikimedia Commons

When King George VI was alive, he used to say that he and his wife, Queen Elizabeth, were both “much attached” to the fireside. Many times during their marriage, he gave her a fire surround or chimney pieces as an anniversary gift.

One of the King’s gifts to her was installed in her bedroom at the Castle of Mey. Formerly known as Barrogill Castle it was the Queen Mother’s castle far north of Scotland. The king's gift was a marble surround embellished with heart carvings, inscribed with the Latin words: Patientia Vicet (Patience Conquers).

The Castle of Mey was the first-ever home that Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother owned. She bought it as a respite to recover after King George VI’s death in 1952. The Castle was in a sorry state when she acquired it, run-down and almost abandoned.

The Castle of Mey is located on the wild coast of Caithness, where legend has it that serpents and mermaids thrive on its waters. Its landscape looks empty with its barren moors, isolated lochs, and seemingly lifeless cliffs. But in the plainness of the surrounding the Queen Mother found her peace.

The Castle of Mey's Rose Garden. Image:Wikimedia Commons

The castle is steep in history and Her Majesty wanted to its “long history, serene beauty and proud setting to be preserved.” And so work commenced, which took the Queen Mother three years to restore the castle’s bricked-rooms and dungeon back to life. Central heating was even installed on some parts. After it was accomplished, the castle was preserved and was transform to a royal abode, fit for a queen. Friends believed that the Castle helped to bring Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother to stability.  Since then, every August, she, her family and her friends, would go the Castle for her annual holiday, a routine she would follow until shortly before her death at the age of 101 in 2002.

The Queen Mother wanted to preserve the property through perpetuity. In July 1996, she handed over the castle and its surrounding farm to the Queen Elizabeth Castle of Mey Trust, which had opened the castle and garden to the public regularly after her death. 


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth about “Princess Qajar,” the Royal Lady with the Mustache

A Persian princess viral news websites baptized as Princess Qajar has lately become a stuff of legends. She was presented as a royal lady with a facial hair that made her so attracted that 13 men claimed their own lives because she couldn’t love them. The truth is, there was no “Princess Qajar,” only the Qajar dynasty  that ruled over Persia for more than a century.

The only fact about this historical meme is that at that time, it was fashionable for Persian women to wear mustache. “Many Persian-language sources, as well as photographs, from the nineteenth century confirm that Qajar women sported a thin mustache, or more accurately a soft down, as a sign of beauty,” explained Dr. Afsaneh Najmabadi.
The memes and fake stories circulating online refer not to a single princess, but actually to two female dynasts: Princess Fatemah Khanum"'Esmat al-Dowleh" and her half-sister, Princess Zahra Khanom Tadj es-Saltaneh. Their father, Naser al-Din Shah Qajar, ruled Persia from 1…

7 Interesting Facts About York Cottage in Sandringham

York Cottage is one of the many houses in the grounds of the Royal Family’s Sandringham Estate in Norfolk. The house, which is just a short walk from Sandringham House, was recently placed under the spotlight after it was reported that Queen Elizabeth II has gifted it to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. If ever the couple finally decides to call this cottage their country home, the will follow the footsteps of the Queen’s grandfather, King George V, who lived here after his wedding to Princess Mary of Teck until he succeeded the throne in 1910. Read on the find out some interesting facts about York Cottage.

1. It was once called the “Bachelor’s Cottage”. It was originally constructed as Sandringham House’s overflow residence with the purpose of accommodating the estate’s male guests.
2. King Edward VII bestowed the cottage as a wedding gift to his son Prince George (the Duke of York and later King George V) and his wife, the Duchess of York (later Queen Mary), in 1893. It served as the c…

Queen Victoria and Her Conflict with Lord Palmerston

Moving on with our Queen Victoria series, today we will discuss about Queen Victoria’s “cold” treatment of one of her ministers, Lord Palmerston. We shall see how this long-running conflict began.
The defeat of the Tories in the 1846 General Elections saw the dismissal of Sir Robert Peel from the office. With the Whigs on the helm of the government, Henry John Temple, the Viscount Palmerston was appointed Minister of the Foreign Office. His ascension to that post ushered in the greatest struggle between the crown and its ministers since the day when George III had dismissed the coalition government of Fox and North.
Lord Palmerston’s long tenure in public office made up almost untouchable Palmerston’s appointment to the Foreign Office came shortly after he celebrated his 60th birthday, a time when he could proudly look back on his achievements and career in the government that began in 1809, ten years before Queen Victoria and Prince Albert were born. Always confident in his wit and dip…