Skip to main content

Kew Palace: A Queen's Beloved Home

Rear view of Kew Palace with the Queen's Garden. Image: Wikimedia Commons

The year was 1728. King George II and his wife, Queen Caroline, both very much German, were just crowned as British sovereigns. With six children, their cramped summer residence in Richmonde Park was just too much for such as a huge family! The Queen had laid her eyes on the Dutch House, the red-orange structure sitting on a spacious lot by the Thames in London. There, she installed three of her daughters,  Anne, Amelia and Caroline. For the next 100 years, Kew housed several members of the House of Hanover.

Here, King George II and Queen Caroline spent many carefree days, living normal lives unencumbered by the trappings of pomp and the strictures of court. The gardens were cultivated as an idyllic pleasure ground.

Frederick, Prince of Wales, leased Capel House at Kew, remodelled, refurbished, and expanded itto add a kitchen block now known as the 'the Royal Kitchens'. Because of its plastered exterior, the house became known as the White House.  Kew became his favourite country home and here he entertained many of his friends, including poets James Thomson and Alexander Pope.

The Kew Palace used to be an expansive complex of houses, with the Dutch House and the White House as the two most prominent structures amidst an expansive ground.

This painting by Philippe Mercier shows Frederick Prince of Wales playing the cello with his three younger sisters: Anne, Princess Royal  with the harpsicord, Princess Caroline playing mandora  and Princess Amelia reading a Milton. Behind them is the Dutch House, which was Princess Anne's home before she married Prince William of Orange. The painting suggests harmony among the siblings but the truth is is the family detested Frederick. It is believed that Frederick and Anne were not on speaking terms when this portrait was painted.

Kew Gardens. Image: Public Domain Pictures

With the house in attuned to his liking, Frederick turned his attention to the gardens but, alas, "after staying all day in the garden till night, in the damp rain and hail to look at his workmen" the heir to the throne suffered a terrible chill and died in 1751. His widow, Augusta, retained possession of the Dutch House and White House but she did not stay here. 

When she died in 1772, the houses passed on to their son, King George III who preferred White House as his summer residence. The Dutch House was used as a schoolhouse for his two eldest sons George, the future King George IV, and Frederick, later Duke of York. It was at White House where King George III was kept on the first occurrence of his 'madness,' from November 1788 to March 1789. His wife Queen Charlotte and their daughters  lived at the Dutch House.

The White House was never used since and, dilapidated, it was demolished in 1802, although it is believed that he was confined here during his second bout with madness. In 1804, this condition recurred and so he stayed at the Dutch House. A service wing, now demolished, was constructed for this purpose. The Queen and the princesses also stayed at the Dutch House's, occupying the first and second floors.  It was renovated in 1809 for the king’s youngest daughter, Princess Amelia, so she can stay here and recover from her tuberculosis. But the princess never had the chance to occupy the palace.

From 1809 the royal family rarely visited Kew, but in 1818, Queen Charlotte stayed at Kew Palace to convalesce. She never recovered from a long illness. But she lived long enough to see her two sons, the Dukes of Clarence and Kent, marry their German brides, Princess Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen and Princess Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld. The wedding took place at Kew in July with the ailing queen present.  She died in her bedroom November of that year. The locals witnessed the slow procession of her coffin from the palace en route to Windsor for burial. King George III, by now suffering from severe dementia, was not aware of the queen’s death. Her coffin was concealed with straw so he could not see the funeral carriage.

Princess Elizabeth's room at Kew Palace. She was the younger sister of King George III. Image: Robert Lamb via Geograph.

Queen Charlotte's bedroom. Image: Robert Lamb via Geograph

The Queen's Drawing Room. Image: Robert Lamb via Geograph

The Queen's sitting room. Image: Robert Lamb via Geograph

King George IV wanted to demolish the Dutch House, while his brother and successor King William IV thought of extending it. Nothing happened of these plans.  

King William offered the Dutch House to his sister-in-law the Duchess of Kent for her and her daughter (the future Queen Victoria). The duchess found it “old” and “quite unfit for the princess and me to occupy, being very inadequate in accommodation and almost destitute of furniture.” And so, Kew Palace laid empty for two decades.

Sometime in 1844 Queen Victoria briefly sent her three children, Princess Victoria, the Prince of Wales and Princess Alice to Kew for their summer holiday. After acquiring Osborne House on the Isle of Wight, Kew was totally abandoned. Since then, no member of the Royal Family has ever lived in Kew Palace.

The Dutch House was opened to the public and remained so until 1996, when it was closed for restoration. It has again functioned as a royal venue when in 2006, Prince Charles hosted the 80th birthday of Queen Elizabeth II. A few days later it was reopened to the public, becoming one of the most visited royal attractions in London.

The remaining structures of Kew Palace—the Dutch House, the Royal Kitchens, and the Pagoda—are maintained by the Historic Royal Palaces, a non-profit which receives no funding neither from the government nor the Crown.
Kew Palace, c1986. Image: Wikimedia Commons

Kew Palace today. Image: Wikimedia Commons


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth about “Princess Qajar,” the Royal Lady with the Mustache

A Persian princess viral news websites baptized as Princess Qajar has lately become a stuff of legends. She was presented as a royal lady with a facial hair that made her so attracted that 13 men claimed their own lives because she couldn’t love them. The truth is, there was no “Princess Qajar,” only the Qajar dynasty  that ruled over Persia for more than a century.

The only fact about this historical meme is that at that time, it was fashionable for Persian women to wear mustache. “Many Persian-language sources, as well as photographs, from the nineteenth century confirm that Qajar women sported a thin mustache, or more accurately a soft down, as a sign of beauty,” explained Dr. Afsaneh Najmabadi.
The memes and fake stories circulating online refer not to a single princess, but actually to two female dynasts: Princess Fatemah Khanum"'Esmat al-Dowleh" and her half-sister, Princess Zahra Khanom Tadj es-Saltaneh. Their father, Naser al-Din Shah Qajar, ruled Persia from 1…

7 Interesting Facts About York Cottage in Sandringham

York Cottage is one of the many houses in the grounds of the Royal Family’s Sandringham Estate in Norfolk. The house, which is just a short walk from Sandringham House, was recently placed under the spotlight after it was reported that Queen Elizabeth II has gifted it to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. If ever the couple finally decides to call this cottage their country home, the will follow the footsteps of the Queen’s grandfather, King George V, who lived here after his wedding to Princess Mary of Teck until he succeeded the throne in 1910. Read on the find out some interesting facts about York Cottage.

1. It was once called the “Bachelor’s Cottage”. It was originally constructed as Sandringham House’s overflow residence with the purpose of accommodating the estate’s male guests.
2. King Edward VII bestowed the cottage as a wedding gift to his son Prince George (the Duke of York and later King George V) and his wife, the Duchess of York (later Queen Mary), in 1893. It served as the c…

Queen Victoria and Her Conflict with Lord Palmerston

Moving on with our Queen Victoria series, today we will discuss about Queen Victoria’s “cold” treatment of one of her ministers, Lord Palmerston. We shall see how this long-running conflict began.
The defeat of the Tories in the 1846 General Elections saw the dismissal of Sir Robert Peel from the office. With the Whigs on the helm of the government, Henry John Temple, the Viscount Palmerston was appointed Minister of the Foreign Office. His ascension to that post ushered in the greatest struggle between the crown and its ministers since the day when George III had dismissed the coalition government of Fox and North.
Lord Palmerston’s long tenure in public office made up almost untouchable Palmerston’s appointment to the Foreign Office came shortly after he celebrated his 60th birthday, a time when he could proudly look back on his achievements and career in the government that began in 1809, ten years before Queen Victoria and Prince Albert were born. Always confident in his wit and dip…