Read: Every tribute to Prince Philip by his family

Prince Philip. Image from Flickr

Despite his failing health and advancing age, the death of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, on April 9, 2021, still came as a shock that stunned millions of people around the world. Even his own family has to endure his passing and Queen Elizabeth II , who turns 95 on April 21, was inconsolable  at the death of her husband for 73 years. The duke’s death certainly left "a huge void" in her life and as Prince Andrew said, the queen "described his passing as a miracle".  Soon after the announcement of Prince Philip’s death, one after another, his children and grandchildren started paying tribute to the “grandfather of the nation” who devoted his life to the queen and to the nation. 

From Prince Charles:

My father, for I suppose the last 70 years, has given the most remarkable, devoted service to The Queen, to my family and to the country, but also to the whole of the Commonwealth… My dear Papa was a very special person.

 

 From The Duke of Cambridge

My grandfather was an extraordinary man and part of an extraordinary generation. Catherine and I will continue to do what he would have wanted and will support The Queen in the years ahead. I will miss my Grandpa, but I know he would want us to get on with the job.

Read Prince William's full message.

From The Duke of Sussex

He was authentically himself, with a seriously sharp wit, and could hold the attention of any room due to his charm - and also because you never knew what he might say next.

Read Prince Harry's full message.

From The Duke of York

I loved him as a father. He was so calm … He was always someone you could go to and he would always listen... We've lost almost the grandfather of the nation.

 

 From Princess Eugenie of York

I remember learning how to cook, how to paint, what to read. I remember laughing at your jokes and asking about your spectacular life and service in the navy. ⁣

I remember incinerating the sausages and you swooping in to save the day.⁣

I remember your hands and your laugh and your favourite beer.

Read Princess Eugenie's tribute to Prince Philip. 

The Earl of Wessex

He had a unique ability to make a lasting impression in a remarkably short time. I, like all my family, have a lifetime of lasting impressions, inspiration, shared passions and love. He may have departed this world, but his spirit and ethos lives on through his Award, through each and every life touched, transformed, inspired; then, now and in the future.

Read Prince Edward's tribute to his father.

Anne, Princess Royal

His ability to treat every person as an individual in their own right with their own skills comes through all the organisations with which he was involved. I regard it as an honour and a privilege to have been asked to follow in his footsteps and it has been a pleasure to have kept him in touch with their activities. I know how much he meant to them, in the UK, across the Commonwealth and in the wider world.

 Read Princess Anne's tribute to Prince Philip.

Comments

Popular Posts