Princess Mary of Cambridge (1833-1897) by Franz Xaver Winterhalter, signed and dated 1846.
Probably commissioned by the Duchess of Cambridge, in a letter (February 27, 1847) to her friend Ellinor Napier (later Mrs. George Dalrymple), Princess Mary Wrote that the portrait was her mother's gift to the Duke of Cambridge, jointly given at Windsor Castle, together with the duke's sister, Princess Mary Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Sophia. Princess Mary Adelaide "considered it an excellent likeness, and gave papa great pleasure".
Presented to Queen Mary, when Princess of Wales, by Rear-Admiral Adolphus FitzGeorge (son of Queen Mary's uncle Prince George Duke of Cambridge) in 1904. It was inherited by Mary, Princess Royal, from whose estate purchased by Queen Elizabeth II in December 1965. The portrait is now part of the Royal Collection Trust.