Skip to main content

Dresden’s Grandest Hotel was once a Palace Originally Built for a Notorious Royal Mistress

The Grand Hotel Taschenbergpalais in Dresden. Image by the Author

Beside Dresden’s Royal Palace and the Dresden Pavillon is an equally imposing baroque structure that surely grabs the attention of travellers and passersby alike. This is the Grand Hotel Taschenbergpalais, once a regal residence fit for a royal mistress. The palace was built by Johann Friedrich Karcher as a gift of Augustus II the Strong, Elector of Saxony and King of Poland to his mistress, Countess Anna Constanze von Hoym.


The Countess, born Anna Constantia, had gained power and reputation through an early marriage which landed her the title of Baroness, which she was able to transform into an eight year position as the official mistress to the King.

Anna was the daughter of a knight and the daughter of a Hamburg merchant. She was a concubine of Adolphus Magnus, Baron of Hoym, before they married in 1703. Their marriage was not to last and when she met Augustust II the Strong, Elector of Saxony and King of Poland, in 1704, the couple were already estranged. They were divorced in 1706. When she arrived in Dresden, Anna claimed she was still the baron's wife so she could appear at the royal court.

Baroness von Hoym’s vivacity caught the king’s attention and fell in love with her.  Anna’s rise in the king’s court was imminent although it also earned for her the enmity of the courtiers. Her former husband thought she was unsuitable for a king’s mistress and attempted to prevent their relationship, albeit unsuccessfully. The king’s pious wife, Christiane Eberhardine of Brandenburg-Bayreuth, exiled herself, disgusted with the king’s scandalous Polish court. Now, it was only the king’s other mistress the Princess Teschen that Anna had to deal with.

Finally, in 1705, the Princess Teschen was banished from the court, and Anna  finally reigned as the king’s official mistress. In 1706, she was elevated to the position of Imperial Countess (Reichsgräfin) of Cosel. She gave birth to the king’s daughter on February 24, 1708. The following year, she  bore him another daughter and three years after, a son who she named Frederick Augustus. He later inherited Gut Depenau from his maternal grandparents. By giving three children to the king, Anna thought her position at the Court was indisputable. However, she interfered too much into politics to the point of meddling in Augustus' Polish affairs. When Augustus fall into the charming Maria Magdalena Bielinski, Countess von Dönhoff, alas, Anna’s position was threatened. She was first banished to the Pillnitz Castle in 1713 but managed to escape to Berlin in 1915. She was condemned as a Landesverräter (state criminal) only to be arrested in 1716. Augustus exiled his former mistress to Burg Stolpen, where she remained until her death 49 years later.

Ruins of Taschenbergpalais in 1990. Image: Wikimedia

Taschenbergpalais today. Image: Wikimedia Commons



Since Anna’s downfall until the abolition of the monarchy, Taschenbergpalais became the residence of the crown princes of Saxony, known as the Turkish Palace. From the mid-18th until the 19th century, the palace was expanded and embellished.

Towards the end of World War I, the King of Saxony abdicated in 1918. During World War II, Dresden became a communications and manufacturing center, thus, the Allied forces made it one of their targets. Taschenbergpalais, just like other heritage structures of Dresden, was severely destroyed during the Bombennacht (night of bombs) on February 13, 1945. At the end of the war, Saxony became part of the Communist-held East Germany and for the next five decades,  ruins of the palace stood untouched and unnoticed. Finally, the palace was meticulously rebuilt from 1992 until 1995 for a whopping 127.8 million euros in today’s value.

On March 31, 1995, the former palace was opened as a hotel by the five-star chain Kempinski, the first-ever five-star hotel in Dresden.  

Guests at Hotel Taschenberg Palais can easily look on the Theaterplatz, one of Europe’s most beautiful squares with a panoramic view of Dresden’s cultural splendor. The  nearby Zwinger, Semper Opera House, the Catholic Court Church and the Residential Palace are all within your sight. Today, as it has been before World War II, Taschenbergpalais is one of the main attractions in Dresden, adding to Theaterplatz’s already-magnificent beauty.



Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth about “Princess Qajar,” the Royal Lady with the Mustache

A Persian princess viral news websites baptized as Princess Qajar has lately become a stuff of legends. She was presented as a royal lady with a facial hair that made her so attracted that 13 men claimed their own lives because she couldn’t love them. The truth is, there was no “Princess Qajar,” only the Qajar dynasty  that ruled over Persia for more than a century.

The only fact about this historical meme is that at that time, it was fashionable for Persian women to wear mustache. “Many Persian-language sources, as well as photographs, from the nineteenth century confirm that Qajar women sported a thin mustache, or more accurately a soft down, as a sign of beauty,” explained Dr. Afsaneh Najmabadi.
The memes and fake stories circulating online refer not to a single princess, but actually to two female dynasts: Princess Fatemah Khanum"'Esmat al-Dowleh" and her half-sister, Princess Zahra Khanom Tadj es-Saltaneh. Their father, Naser al-Din Shah Qajar, ruled Persia from 1…

7 Interesting Facts About York Cottage in Sandringham

York Cottage is one of the many houses in the grounds of the Royal Family’s Sandringham Estate in Norfolk. The house, which is just a short walk from Sandringham House, was recently placed under the spotlight after it was reported that Queen Elizabeth II has gifted it to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. If ever the couple finally decides to call this cottage their country home, the will follow the footsteps of the Queen’s grandfather, King George V, who lived here after his wedding to Princess Mary of Teck until he succeeded the throne in 1910. Read on the find out some interesting facts about York Cottage.

1. It was once called the “Bachelor’s Cottage”. It was originally constructed as Sandringham House’s overflow residence with the purpose of accommodating the estate’s male guests.
2. King Edward VII bestowed the cottage as a wedding gift to his son Prince George (the Duke of York and later King George V) and his wife, the Duchess of York (later Queen Mary), in 1893. It served as the c…

Queen Victoria and Her Conflict with Lord Palmerston

Moving on with our Queen Victoria series, today we will discuss about Queen Victoria’s “cold” treatment of one of her ministers, Lord Palmerston. We shall see how this long-running conflict began.
The defeat of the Tories in the 1846 General Elections saw the dismissal of Sir Robert Peel from the office. With the Whigs on the helm of the government, Henry John Temple, the Viscount Palmerston was appointed Minister of the Foreign Office. His ascension to that post ushered in the greatest struggle between the crown and its ministers since the day when George III had dismissed the coalition government of Fox and North.
Lord Palmerston’s long tenure in public office made up almost untouchable Palmerston’s appointment to the Foreign Office came shortly after he celebrated his 60th birthday, a time when he could proudly look back on his achievements and career in the government that began in 1809, ten years before Queen Victoria and Prince Albert were born. Always confident in his wit and dip…